We know it can be tough setting yourself up in a new country.  Here is some info, tips and links to make settling in to Ireland a little easier. 

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:  Visa, bank account, PPS number and somewhere to live.

Visa and Registering with GNIB

This is managed by the Garda National Immigration Bureau or GNIB - www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/registration

The GNIB card, now called IRP (Irish Residents Permit) since 1.12.17 is your ID card you receive once you're registered with the GNIB. To register or renew, you need to make an appointment. This service is very busy so we recommend you book your appointment far in advance.  


The main websites are listed below and it's always worthwhile posting on FB and chat pages to see if anyone has a room or house availability. 

www.daft.ie, www.rent.ie, www.let.ie – most accommodation is fully furnished and you can find details of tenants' rights on www.citizensinformation.ie


Getting your PPS Number

You'll need a Personal Public Service Number or PPS Number. This is like a Tax file number in Australia. Getting a PPS Number – link to www.welfare.ie – how to apply for PPS No.



The tax year runs January - December. When beginning work or switching jobs, you’ll be placed on Emergency Tax unless you make contact with Revenue to obtain a Tax Credit Certificate. Here's a link to Ireland Revenue and the steps for starting a new job.

When changing employers its best to notify Revenue that you're moving in advance to avoid being placed on Emergency tax. You'll need to provide your PPS number and the employer number of the new employer and your start date.  Don’t wait for new employer to do so. 

PAYE workers are not required to complete a mandatory tax return.  To manage your personal tax affairs online, sign up for PAYE Anytime.

If you're leaving Ireland and want to make sure you're not owed a refund, check Revenue's section on leaving Ireland on their website.

Keeping in Touch with Home

Mobile Phones.  There are 4 main network providers:

Vodafone Ireland, 3, Eir and Virgin

Best plan Comparison website by ComReg – www.comreg.ie/compare/

If coming from home, ensure your phone is unlocked to avoid hassle – simply get a SIM card from one of the above networks and you're good to go.  There are no international roaming charges across the EU so your Irish SIM can be used in all EU states at no extra cost.

Broadband – Virgin Media or Sky who also offer Pay TV, Landline and a mobile service.  Bundles usually are cheaper. Other providers, Imagine, Vodafone and Irish Broadband.  See bonkers.ie for package prices.


Post Office

An Post National Postal Service.  Some POs close during lunch. Some open on Saturdays, none on Sundays.  Self-service terminals are located in some shopping centres where they will allow you to weigh and print stamps outside of business hours.  Also, they sell foreign currency eg, sterling and US dollars, mobile phone credit, insurance, Itunes credit.  Agent for DHL.

Driving in Ireland and the EU


Holders of a full Australian drivers licence are permitted to drive on the roads up to 12 months, then you will be expected to exchange your Australian licence for an Irish licence - no test is required if you have a full Australian licence.  If you take out your own insurance policy you may be identified as non-EU and may be subject to higher premiums.  You can find info about exchanging your Aussie licence for an Irish one at National drivers License Service or NDLS.



A Taste of Home

Sometimes you can get lucky finding Aussie stuff in different shops around the country.  If you are missing your vegemite on toast, get some from a Tesco supermarket (not Tesco Express).  Fallon & Byrne situated in Dublin city, usually stock Allens lollies, Tim Tams and Milo. 


Getting around Ireland, bicycles, cars, buses and trains.

Transport for Ireland - (highly recommend downloading the app for journey planning) - www.transportforireland.ie

Dublin Bikes – www.dublinbikes.ie

LUAS – Dublin light rail - www.luas.ie

Rail - Irish Rail for DART and Commuter - www.irishrail.com

National Buses - Bus Eireann - http://www.buseireann.ie/

Dublin Bus - (download the app to get "real time" information on bus arrival times for your bus stop) - www.dublinbus.ie 



Most public transport can be paid for using LEAP Card - this is the Irish version of London's Oyster card and NSW Opal card. www.leapcard.ie

Monthly and Annual Tickets – employed persons can avail of tax free travel using Taxsaver ticket where your monthly ticket is paid from your nett salary.  This is organised by employers at their discretion www.taxsaver.ie


Opening a Bank Account


If you're used to the Australian banks then you're going to need to be patient dealing with some of Ireland's banks as they aren't as modernised as their Aussie counterparts.  It's common that you might get different answers in different branches so develop a relationship with your local branch. Here's the main irish banks and links to each:

Bank of Ireland

Allied Irish Bank

Ulster Bank

Permanent TSB

KBC Bank

Finding Work

Providing you have an EU passport or a visa that allows you to work in Ireland, you can check out job opportunities on these websites:





Australian Embassy in Ireland

Embassy and Consular services can be accessed via the Australian Embassy in Ireland Website

Australia and Ireland celebrated 70 years of diplomatic relations in 2016.

The Embassy is located at Level 3, 47-49 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2

Useful Websites

Living in Ireland, Crosscare charity - www.livinginireland.ie

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service www.inis.gov.ie

Citizens Information - www.citizensinformation.ie

Food/social and cultural

Lovin Dublin www.lovindublin.ie

Irish Village Markets www.irishvillagemarkets.ie

Ticket Master www.ticketmaster.ie

© Ireland Australia Association 2018

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon